Author Topic: Update to 1.6.X  (Read 4391 times)

October 11, 2013, 05:22:01 pm

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We have not been moving forward with the update to 1.6.X due to lacking support from some key mods.  Specifically Thermal Expansion, but there are a few others as well.  I would like to propose an idea that I have been thinking about for this reason, and for others as well.  I was thinking of going to 1.6.X on a fresh world.  So a new game, with everyone starting from scratch.  Then at a later point in time, after we are established in the new world, and all of the needed mods are updated to 1.6.X (TE, NumiRP, etc), then we can add the current overworld to the new game.  We could also select specific existing Myst worlds to move over as well.

Now I know the idea of starting over (again) may not be totally appealing, as we have invested a bit of work into the existing worlds, but once the mods are in place, we should have no issues transitioning the existing worlds.  Unlike the world from the Tekit server, this time we are not changing any block IDs, so it should not be a difficult move.  Part of me is interested in doing this, as I think doing a fresh start may be enjoyable with some of the mods we are now using.  I do not wan't to give up the existing world though, as too much work has gone into it.

The route I am thinking of taking is replacing the server labeled Private server with a 1.6 server and run it side by side with the 1.5.2 world.  So the 1.5.2 world will still be accessible, and should remain so until the day it is merged with the 1.6 server.  This will allow us to use either server prior to the merge.

I would like to know what you guys think of this.  Kuges, I know it is currently mainly you and I on the server right now, but hopefully James will chime in at some point with his and/or Sun's thoughts.

Also, if we do move forward with this, I would like to evaluate some of the current mods to determine if we are going to keep them.  Specifically I am looking gregtech.  Yes, we tend to use that mod heavily in our current world, but it is always a pain to to get working well with the other mods, and currently appears to be our most lag inducing mod based on recent profiler information.  I'm not saying we are dropping it, but I am putting it on the table for discussion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:45:46 pm by Baltazar »

October 11, 2013, 06:43:51 pm
Reply #1

Kuges

• View Profile
To me it don't matter really, I like playing with new toys  ;D Heck, since we started this current world, I've probably started a couple dozen solo games on the side, mostly trying out different mod packs. Currently, playing both FTB unleashed (Tinkers construct without GT) and FTB New World (this one is a bit buggy on my home computer, stable on work one, it's a FTB 3rd party pac, kinda like if up uploaded your pac to ftb...but lots of mods I haven't seen before), And if Direwolf upgrades his pack to 1.62 (which he's been doing some lets play on) I might try that was well.

Hell, we could go back to our old vanilla  world, and I would still play, lol (wonder what that world would look like upgraded to current MC).

October 11, 2013, 06:57:58 pm
Reply #2

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've actually wanted to bring the old vanilla world in at some point just to have it, and maybe we will.  What are your thoughts on GT?

October 11, 2013, 07:14:47 pm
Reply #3

Kuges

• View Profile
GT doesn't matter to me, really. The it's in the unleashed mod pack, but it's full up in the New World (need hammers to make plates to make iron tools stuff).  The only problem with not having it was having to remember how to make stuff without it (which isn't that hard really, i've gotten use to him changing even basic reciepes every time he updates, so you have to see what hoops you have to jump though now to make a wood plank).

As for the first world, looking back, I think having mods on it would ruin it .  just before we went to tekkit, I was putting the finishing touches on a long  rail tunnel , all smooth stone, no cobble or other things lining the walls. That to me seemed kinda epic and fun, now with mods that's something I can do in ahour.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:53:05 pm by Kuges »

October 12, 2013, 02:16:06 pm
Reply #4

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah, adding mods to the vanilla server would kind of trivialize the work that was done on it.

October 13, 2013, 09:24:49 am
Reply #5

technomage72

• View Profile
doesn't really matter to me, as I've maxed out what I can do with GT, as well some of the other mods. Granted, I've gotten slightly bores, as well as busy doing other things in RL, that I've not really had a chance to try too many of the new things since the 1.5.x move. Unfortunately, I'm feeling that way about most of my games right now, which is why (kerno don't shoot me) I'm currently working on work as it's fun and new, instead of slightly stagnant like many of my games are.

GT was nice an all, but I still can't stand greg's attitude against vanilla ic and other mods. A separate vanilla server while waiting for mods might be nice and be "new" in a retro kind of way.

I'll be back eventually, as I'm sure my reactors are prolly offline, which means the farms and everything else are in limbo.

October 14, 2013, 07:47:59 pm
Reply #6

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think I am going to work on dropping GT then.  To help offset some of the loss of power generation, I am thinking of adding some of the UE mods.  We already have MPS, but I am thinking of adding the base mod plus Atomic science.  Below is a video on the Atomic science mod.  I plan to work on this on 1.5.2 rather than 1.6.2.  This way we can get the majority of the mod changes done before the switch to 1.6.2, which maybe 1.6.4 depending on mod support at that time.  I am also thinking about adding Ender IO, but not yet sure.  Will probably add it to test and can then drop it if needed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc4rWPTtfBw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc4rWPTtfBw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAFeRQGM9Ow" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAFeRQGM9Ow</a>

October 14, 2013, 08:34:29 pm
Reply #7

Kuges

• View Profile
Some others you might want to look at is a Add on for AE, that adds bigger storage cells, and liquid storage : (can't seem to find the post on reddit...will link later)

Also there is a mod that expands villages alot : http://millenaire.org/

(would say to check out the FTB New World Mod pack, it has some different mods on it : http://ftbwiki.org/New_World_Mod_Pack )

(edit: Insomnia strikes again)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:37:00 pm by Kuges »

October 15, 2013, 12:26:13 pm
Reply #8

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have thought about adding Millenaire in the past, but have not yet done so.  Also it needs to world gen for the new villages.  Maybe when we jump to 1.6.2 we can give it a try to see if it meshes well with the other mods.

I plan to get the last 1.5.2 update posted to test sometime today.  This will be the update that removes GT and adds some other mods.

October 16, 2013, 06:05:56 pm
Reply #9

Kuges

• View Profile
So are we set on starting a fresh world for 1.6?

October 16, 2013, 09:54:22 pm
Reply #10

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It was a thought, but we are not set on it.  You have a preference one way or another?

October 17, 2013, 07:14:14 am
Reply #11

Kuges

• View Profile
I wouldn't mind a restart. But it really doesn't matter to me, either way. Last night just got thinking about it and how I would start on a new world. lol

October 17, 2013, 08:57:39 pm
Reply #12

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well I am kind of looking for a fresh start as long as we can join to the current world after a period of time.  I was just thinking the jump to 1.6.X could be the time for it as we would be able to go now to 1.6.X if starting on a new world, but have to wait for certain mods to update to bring in the old world.  Now if someone had an issue with starting a new world, then we wouldn't and would just wait to go to 1.6.X when all of the mods we needed were ready.

As of now if I do not hear any objections, which it does not sound like there is,  I am planning to work on the 1.6.2 update with a fresh world on test as soon as we deploy the 1.5.2 update to prod.  Once we have that ready, it can be moved into production, and the existing world can be archived for later import.  Then maybe after a couple of months or so, we can add the current world to the 1.6.X server.

October 21, 2013, 11:04:56 am
Reply #13

Kuges

• View Profile

October 21, 2013, 07:54:13 pm
Reply #14

Kuges

• View Profile
been doing some playing with the atomic science stuff. now to learn a whole new power system, lol (started a AMPZ ftb world to learn more)