Author Topic: Server Lag  (Read 1773 times)

January 25, 2013, 04:29:46 pm

umine18

• View Profile
I think we all have been noticing that in the last few days the server has undergone hours at a time of extreme lag. This lag is so bad in such instances that the clock seems to repeat 4 seconds at a time before rubberbanding back. Of course this presents an issue if your trying to play. These lag spikes seem to happen at random intervals throughout the day often occurring 3-4 times a day and lasting anywhere from an hour to 3 hours.

I personally have noticed that these spikes occur even with just one player online. The odd thing is that if I switch over to the test server with just myself online there is no lag. I'm wondering if the running of two servers in tandem could be responsible for this? It doesn't appear to be related to the number of people online though which is the strange part. You would think the more chunks being loaded at once would be a cause.

January 25, 2013, 08:45:42 pm
Reply #1

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This started happening with the last update.  It is not related to the hardware as the machine is generally idle when the lag occurs, so I don't think it is related to the second server running on the same machine.  If it was they would both have issues.  Plus this specific issue started occurring after the last update, and the two servers have been running side by side for a bit.  It is most likely a bug in one of our mods.  Seems to cause chunk load times to take forever, and then everything get's backup up.

I would like to be able to determine what is triggering it to occur though.  I know around the time we first noticed this there were a lot of chunks generated in the nether, and chunk generation could be a likely cause, but it does not appear to have always happened before lag has started.  If you are online at the time when it starts, please check to see what everyone was doing at that time and post it (i.e. jumping into world x, crafting item y, sitting idle, etc).

February 11, 2013, 03:45:41 pm
Reply #2

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please let me know if you guys are still noticing heavy lag like we were getting in the past post update.  I expect there will be times where there will be some lag.  I am more concerned about the heavy lag we were getting the past couple of months, and if the recent update has had any effect on it.

February 11, 2013, 05:30:42 pm
Reply #3

Kuges

• View Profile
No lag so far today that I noticed, but we have had a thunderstorm all day on the main world.