Author Topic: New Server Hardware  (Read 1355 times)

December 07, 2012, 01:20:27 pm

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Originally we were running the vanilla server on a single core, 2 GB, Windows 7 machine.  When we switched to Tekkit I moved it to my main workstation, which has an I7 processor and 12 GB of ram.  Unfortunately this machine is not ideal for running the server, as it is my main workstation.

Some parts should be arriving tomorrow allowing me to upgrade the old machine that is currently just running the web server and BBS.  It will have a 6 core AMD FX processor with 16 GB or memory.  I will also be installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on it.  This will allow me to dedicate a lot more RAM to the server process, and it should not have any other processes effecting it like it does now.

During the upgrade the website will go down, but I should have it up in a handful of hours.  The MC server will remain up on my workstation while this is occurring, and will be transitioned to the new server during off hours.  If all goes well the change will be seamless to everyone using it.

December 09, 2012, 10:25:15 pm
Reply #1

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks like the parts will come in tomorrow.  So I will be working on setting up the machine over the next couple of days.  So the website might go down tomorrow night, and could be down into Tuesday as well if I don't finish it tomorrow night.  The MC Server should remain up during this time.

December 10, 2012, 07:26:20 pm
Reply #2

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Test Server has been migrated to the new machine and appears to be running OK.  Was copying map tiles, but eventually canceled it.  Will regenerate them tonight.  Everything else should be working as it was.  Will be moving the Tekkit server over now.  It will be brought up as soon as the copy is done.