Author Topic: Server Offline  (Read 2356 times)

October 22, 2012, 10:24:58 pm

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Server went down today, and had a bunch of chunk load errors on starting it back up.  I am currently in the process of trying to restore the morning's backup of world2.  I will try to get it back online tonight, but that depends on how long the restore takes.

Based on the UI it appears that Octo and Technomage were online when it went down, though the UI is a little buggy and can at times incorrectly represent the online user list.  If either of you were online when it went down, can you let me know what you were doing right before it went down?

October 22, 2012, 10:58:05 pm
Reply #1

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Restoring to this morning's copy of the world did not resolve the issue.  I received the same errors on login, so I reverted back to the current copy of the world.  Unfortunately it appears that two chunks in my new storage room reverted to a prior version, so I lost a bunch of chests and all of the items I moved into them.  Only think I could guess is those chunks just never saved to disk, and when the sever crashed, we loaded the old chunks on startup.  The version of the chunks appear to be over 2 days old.  Just seems odd that it would not save it for that long of a period.  I think I need to start doing a save-all before the morning backups.

If anyone else notices any issues please let me know.

The server is currently back online.

October 22, 2012, 11:10:58 pm
Reply #2

umine18

• View Profile
All I was doing was building the power supply room in my castle. I had installed a MFSU, MV transformer, and LV transformer with glass fibre cable between them. It was standard layout but for some reason my MV transformer blew up when I placed it. Not sure if placing an energy display monitor next to it is what caused it or not. However, I logged in just now and all of that is missing. The only thing there now is the room as it was before I placed the energy equipment in it. I went to look in the chest they were stored in earlier this day before i installed them to see if they reverted back there and they did not. So I have no idea where any of it has gone its just vanished. I had the same issue with a ring a few weeks back that I never found either.

October 23, 2012, 07:31:11 am
Reply #3

technomage72

• View Profile
I had already logged off, and logged off normally, wasn't running anything I haven't run a million times before, no new modules. only thing running was my quarry, as I have shut everything down in my reactor room (including the ice gen, uranium gen, etc) so only had the one timer going...I stopped using timers on the quarry, and have started using tubestuff's buffer to push items, and as this is the second quarry using it, don't think that was an issue...I have eu-splitters to prevent logic loops for eu passages as well.

October 23, 2012, 08:30:28 am
Reply #4

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well I'm not sure what caused the crash.  We'll just have to consider it a random hang.  Unfortunately when this happens any unsaved chunks as lost.  So the reason recent changes are missing is is just because those changes were never saved, and you are seeing an older version of the chunk.

I have setup a task to save all updated chunks to disk every 30 minutes, to reduce our exposure window.  I thought MC had it's own interval that would ensure chunks would get saved at some reasonable interval, but I lost over 24 hours worth of changes in my storage room, and in turn a lot of items.

Octo, when I see you on next I will give you a replacement for the MFSU and transformer that you lost.

October 23, 2012, 12:20:17 pm
Reply #5

umine18

• View Profile
Ok, I had just moved my LV solar array to there as well so right now Im not generating any power anywhere haha. I took a look at the minimap that shows the chunks grid and sure enough the room I built sits on two different chunks. All of my power equipment was on the one that reverted while the other changes were kept. But thanks, I may be on tonight.

October 24, 2012, 06:08:29 pm
Reply #6

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The server crashed again today.  This time it was an error in the wireless redstone mod.  No one was on at the time, so I doubt there was any data loss.

October 25, 2012, 06:57:28 pm
Reply #7

umine18

• View Profile
There was lol remember that chunk where my stuff disappeared from? Wellll it happened again. It was some glass fibre cable and MFSU...the bricks that I had built in addition to laying the new power grid did not get lost though which seems weird. The only loss material seems to be modded materials not those native to the game. It was even more weird that the 2 HV solar arrays on top of the roof were still there and they are on the same chunk grid as the MFSU and cable, im not quite sure how to explain that one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:14:30 pm by umine18 »

October 26, 2012, 11:49:04 pm
Reply #8

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Did you place the items within the last 30 minutes before you logged off?

October 27, 2012, 08:46:01 am
Reply #9

umine18

• View Profile
I believe it was more than 30 minutes because I started building on another apart of my castle that took longer than that haha

October 27, 2012, 12:25:15 pm
Reply #10

Baltazar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hmm... not sure.  The server is writing everything to disk every 30 minutes now, so that should be our window.